21 December 2007

My Elephant Project




Hari bol every one.

Who you see here is Laksmipriya the Elephant. I have been working to bring her to Sri Dham Mayapur for some time now. This picture I took last week when I went up to Jorhat, Assam, where she is right now.
Laksmipriya LOVES to eat! She eats up to 18 hours per day. Her favorite foods are Bamboo leaves and Banana Trees. Yes, she eats the whole tree, she loves especially the core. We tried to feed her some bananas, however she only will accept them if they are tree ripened; if they are not, she spits them out.

Laksmipriya is very intelligent and funny at the same time. When she does not want to be disturbed during eating, she lifts her leg towards you. if you touch her on her trunk or forehead while eating, she makes a loud roar.

As time and connection speed permits, I will post some more pictures and history about this Elephant and also another Elephant by the name Vishnupriya. Vishnupriya is also coming to Mayapur. She is smaller than Laksmipriya.

1 comment:

MOM said...

She is beautiful!


Susan K. Mikota DVM
Director of Veterinary Programs and Research
Elephant Care International
166 Limo View Lane, Hohenwald, TN 38462 USA
931-796-7102 / www.elephantcare.org